Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Eyes on the Prize

Yesterday, I got stuck in a traffic jam, but I didn’t mind at all. The jam was due to the ground-breaking of the Martin Luther King, Jr., National Memorial. Ohio Drive was closed, and the police frequently stopped traffic on Independence Avenue to allow the many people attending the ceremony to cross the street.

The ceremony was covered in the Washington Post this morning, featuring pictures of tearful attendants. Although I don’t pretend to know what it was like to be a black person in the civil rights era (or today), I think I might have some small inkling of how the people attending the ceremony felt. As I inched down Independence Ave., watching the knots of people, mostly black Americans, walking to the ceremony, I myself became teary. It is absolutely shocking to think how recently in American history good people fought the battle for civil rights, and it is amazing to think how far we’ve come since then. (Although not far enough, I fear.) And Martin Luther King, Jr., is such an awe-inspiring figure, a man who possessed amazing grace and intelligence and strength and bravery. He was truly one of this country’s great patriots, and no one deserves a national memorial more than he.

About $30 million still needs to be raised to build his memorial. You can do your part here:

http://www.mlkmemorial.org/

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
–Martin Luther King, Jr.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home