Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas in the City

Gradually over the last fifteen years or so, Washington, DC has become a southern city. We’ve gotten much less snow in the last few years than we did when I first moved here, and winters in general seem more mild. I sometimes think longingly of the big storm we had 10 years ago, which shut down the federal government for days. It’s hard to believe we could have such a storm now, when December temperatures are averaging near 50 degrees. Except, inexplicably, for residents of the White House, climate change seems like a reality.

On Christmas Eve, the weather was sunny and bright, with temperatures in the low 50s. I thought the day would be relaxing, but instead we ran around all day like chickens with our heads cut off. In the afternoon, I went out for a brisk walk. I went to my favorite bagel place, Bagels & Baguettes, to get bagels for Christmas brunch, but it was closed for the holiday. Then I went to Schneider’s to get a bottle of wine to bring to some acquaintances who had invited us for a Christmas eve supper. (I realized when I got home that I had purchased a bottle called “the Ball Buster,” which I could hardly present as a hostess gift to someone I don’t know very well, so I had to go out and buy another wine later in the day.) From there, I walked to Eastern Market, where I bought a lovely centerpiece of greens, pine cones, and candles, and a large bouquet of greens, holly, and eucalyptus. By this time I was glad I hadn’t been able to buy bagels, since I was quite weighted down. I returned home, dropped off my purchases, and then went straight back out to CVS to buy gum and M&Ms for the boys’ stockings.

Although the weather didn’t feel like Christmas, the day felt special. There was little traffic, so the streets were quiet; everyone seemed in a jolly mood; houses looked so pretty in their holiday decorations. In spite of the weather, which is just too warm for my taste, it was a reminder of why I like living here so much, in this small town in the big city.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home